Technology Services has made several improvements to student-related technology for the fall 2011 term. A summary of improvements is available in the YouTube video below.
Further information concerning current and upcoming improvements is available below.
- Samford Mobile App – Now available for iPhone and Android phones. Contains class schedule, Caf menu, Grades, Events, and more.
- Wireless – The department has started making improvements to the existing wireless network to improve coverage and reliability. These improvements are funded through the technology fee.
- Classroom technology – All classrooms now have a projector as part of the classroom initiative using technology fee funding. Technology Services has completed this initiative and is now upgrading technology in classrooms with older projectors.
- Online Parking Decal – Technology Services has worked with Transportation Services to implement an online parking decal system. This will allow students to sign up for parking decals online and have the fee charged directly to their student account.
- Financial Aid Award Acceptance – Students are now able to sign their financial aid award online through the portal.
- Online registrations – Improved online registration systems are in place for Family Weekend and FreshMIN retreat.
Some upcoming initiatives:
- Expanded Help Desk Hours – Technology Services is investigating options for expanding the help desk hours.
- Samford Virtual Lab – The department is testing a system that would allow students and employees access to Samford owned applications from any computer or iPad. This would provide a virtual computing environment to students from their personal computer or iPad, enabling them to utilize programs typically installed only the computer labs.
- Schools on Facebook – Technology Services is working with Campus Life to implement Schools on Facebook for current students. This system is currently being used for admitted students and serves as a plug-in to Facebook allowing students to interact with other Samford students based on interests.
- Software Purchases – In the upcoming months students will have the opportunity to purchase software at significant discount using academic pricing. Further information will be available during the fall term.
Future technology updates will be posted on the Technology Services News Feed. Please contact the help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 726-2662 if you have any questions concerning the above technologies.