May 28, 2012
Given the thousands of errors I've committed over the past 55 years, I think I know how Bulldog second baseman Zeth Stone felt yesterday afternoon when he dropped a double-play ball in the bottom of the ninth inning of the Southern Conference championship game, allowing Georgia Southern to eventually score and tie the game. The lump in his throat was probably as big as a baseball. But that part of the story is only a minor detail. Minutes later, forced into extra time, with two outs in the tenth and the bases loaded, Zeth hit the game-winning triple to drive in all three runs. "I had to pick the team up," Zeth said after the game. "I saw a pitch I could hit and I turned on it."
"I saw a pitch I could hit." A good rule for life, I would say.
Coach Casey Dunn and his champions will raise the Samford Victory Flag on campus at 10:30 a.m. today.
The world is better because Samford people are as tenacious as . . . bulldogs.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.