August 29, 2011
The most recent infusion of life at Samford—the members of the Class of 2015—assumed ownership of the campus on Friday morning. Assisted by hundreds of volunteers, their possessions were swept into the residence halls in a matter of minutes, leaving the new students alone with parents, scurrying to put everything in place. “Talk about a smooth operation,” wrote one relieved parent this weekend, in response to the move-in experience. Late Friday afternoon, after the program in the Wright Center for new students and parents (designed to be the official moment for mom and dad to head for home), I was returning to my office in Samford Hall when I glanced to the right, seeing a husband and wife, wiping away tears, walking toward the parking lot. Headed the other direction, only a few steps away, strolling with confidence, was their daughter. I watched as the daughter embraced a new friend and they began to chat. I looked back the other direction and saw the parents place their arms around each other, moving ahead.
It is my prayer this morning that we will merit the trust those parents placed in us, and that we will meet the expectations of their daughter.
The world is better because of Samford University.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.