November 15, 2010
From Mike Floyd of the Cumberland School of Law, Professor of Law and Director of International Studies:
"Loreta Raulinaityte is a 1998 JD graduate of the Cumberland School of Law. A native of Lithuania, her attendance at Cumberland grew out of the friendship she developed with Cumberland alumnus Bill Satterfield and his wife, Carolyn. Loreta currently lives in Brussels and serves as the single Permanent Member of the COSAC Secretariat of the European Union in Brussels. COSAC represents the interests of the European member states’ parliaments to the European Union. It meets twice yearly, in the capital of the country holding the Presidency of the Council of the European Union. Loreta is immensely proud of her Cumberland degree, and she regularly visits Cumberland’s summer study-abroad program in Cambridge to share her perspective on the European Union. The walls of Loreta’s office in Brussels display only two things: a map of Europe, which was a gift from a former President of the European Parliament, and her Cumberland diploma."
The world is better because of Loreta Raulinaityte and the Cumberland School of Law.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.