June 22, 2009
Stephen Brooks Knight has been Samford’s Resident Carillonneur for thirty-five years. Usually on Mondays and Thursdays at 4:30 p.m., but sometimes on other special occasions, Mr. Knight scales the heights of the Davis Library tower to delight our university (and the surrounding area of Homewood) with a recital on the Rushton Memorial Carillon. Mr. Knight has received numerous awards and honors, including the City of Mechelen Carillon Composition prize from the Royal Carillon School in Mechelen, Belgium, and the Young Blind Composers Award from the National Federation of Music Clubs. He also received the Samuel P. Hayes Award from the Perkins School for the Blind and the Harry R. Wilson Award from Samford University.
The world is better because of the music of Stephen Knight.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.