October 13, 2008
Jim Barnette told me last week of one of his former students, Alyson Roth, who was thrown from her passenger seat in a head-on collision in Nevada. As a result, Alyson was paralyzed from the waist down. Jim says that, in class one day, he heard another student ask Alyson if she ever prayed that God would perform the miracle of healing so that she might walk again. "Very casually," Jim says, "Alyson replied, 'Yes, of course. I pray that often. But I don't have the time to wait around to see if God will do this for me. If He does, then great. But if He does not, I can live with that. Whatever the case, life is too short for me to let my situation defeat me. I have work to do on His behalf, and I need to make the most of it, regardless of my circumstances.'"
Alyson lives in California and speaks to various groups about how God has given her life new meaning, despite the challenges. Her web page is located at http://www.alysonroth.com.
The world is better because of Alyson Roth.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.