September 1, 2008
Mary V. Thompson earned her degree from Samford in 1977, pursuing a major in history. Today she serves as Research Historian at the Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens in Virginia. This fall the University of Virginia Press will publish her book, In the Hands of a Good Providence: Religion in the Life of George Washington. The UVA Press website observes that "Thompson follows Washington and his family over several generations, situating her inquiry in the context of new work on the place of religion in colonial and postrevolutionary Virginia and the Chesapeake." Frank Grizzard, the Director of the Lee Family Digital Archive at Washington and Lee University, has said that Thompson's book "is likely the best book that will ever be written on Washington and religion."
The world is better because of Mary Thompson.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.