August 2, 2010
Paul Richardson from our School of the Arts, sent this item:
A few days ago, Samford hosted the annual conference of The Hymn Society in the United States and Canada. More than 200 of these guests stayed in Beeson Woods. One of them left without having retrieved her insulin from the refrigerator in James Hall. When she reached her home in Kentucky on Thursday evening, she realized her situation and sent an e-mail asking for help. The event and housing staff responded quickly, and by 7:30 the next morning Shane Sanders of Rite Way Service had retrieved the package, soon after which Ken England, Director of Event Management and Space Utilization, sent it on its way. Ms. Roberts received it less than 36 hours after sending her message. Her appreciative note concluded: “With gracious thanks to all involved, and gratitude to the Lord who energizes us all.”
The world is better because our people place a high value on service to others.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.