March 17, 2014
Patrick O'Connor (yes, I timed this story for St. Patrick's Day) is the president of University Ministries at Samford. He also loves to cook. Patrick wrote to me a few days ago:
"I have had the extraordinary opportunity to lead a cadre through University Ministries this semester titled "Cooking in Community." I have taken 11 students with ranging cooking skills and put them together to cook meals and discuss Lauren Winner's book Mudhouse Sabbath. So far, it has been a fantastic experience to share meals that each of us help create from scratch to discuss community and spiritual disciplines. With the passion for cooking, teaching, and community, it has been amazing for me to see my skills come together in a new way to share with others, and to learn from each of the members."
The world is better because of the creativity of Samford students.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.