February 24, 2014
As the members of our faculty and staff work with families to help them through this decision-making process, I am privileged to receive occasional messages from prospective students and parents. I was struck by one line in a message from a dad last week. He said, “There are a few times in life when you know something is right, and this was one of those times.” I’m well aware that it takes many days of visits, discussions and prayer for a family to get to the point of knowing that a college choice is “right.” I’m grateful to the men and women throughout Samford that support this life-changing process.
The world is better because Samford people invest themselves in the important decisions of the families we serve.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.