December 17, 2012
From Dr. David Chapman, dean of the Howard College of Arts and Sciences:
“Dr. Rhonda Parker, Chair of the Department of Communication Studies, prepares her students to apply the knowledge they gain in the major by designing and facilitating communication workshops across the Southeast. In the Senior Workshop, students in Communication Studies are given a unique opportunity to immerse themselves in the world of training and development. Over the years, students have created and delivered a variety of training experiences for schools, non-profit organizations, and businesses, including conflict management, interpersonal communication, and cross-cultural communication.
“This spring, Michael Seaman created a workshop for high school athletes and their parents on ways to get attention from college athletic recruiters and what to do when these recruiters come calling. The workshop was so effective that it was purchased by an online publishing company and will be available to students all over the country.”
The world is better because of Dr. Parker’s innovative approach to education and Michael Seaman’s “real world” application of communication theory to assist others.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.