December 3, 2012
Last Thursday Dr. Mike Ledgerwood (chair) and our Department of World Languages and Cultures continued a Samford tradition that began in the 1950s, hosting a convocation program called “Christmas Around the World.” Hundreds of students read scripture and sang carols in 17 different languages,including the singing of “We Three Kings” in English—by our students in the English as a Second Language program. When Dr. Doug Clapp was sidelined with the flu on Thursday morning, Dr. Ledgerwood covered for him by leading our students in Latin with the singing of “Veni Emmanuel.” “I figured if I waved my hands people would respond,” said Dr. Ledgerwood. “I’m glad that was true. And don’t mention this to Dr. Hopkins!”
(Sorry, Mike. The line was too good not to pass along.)
The world is better because we speak many languages—and we teach many languages at Samford.
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.