November 10, 2014
I was waiting for a flight to New York at the Birmingham airport Thursday evening when I encountered one of our students, waiting to board the same plane. The young man is one of our outstanding accounting students and I already knew that he has accepted a position in one of the nation’s major accounting firms. He told me that he was headed to New York for a round of interviews on Friday to determine his specific placement in the firm. I asked if he was nervous. His response was telling. “Not really,” he said. “I’ve had so many opportunities at Samford to prepare me for interview situations that I actually enjoy this part of the process.” He credited the courses and faculty across the breadth of our curriculum, as well as his experience in student organizations, for his preparation.
The world is better because Samford “fosters academic, career and ethical competency.”
The mission of Samford University is to nurture persons in their development of intellect, creativity, faith, and personhood. As a Christian university, the community fosters academic, career, and ethical competency while encouraging social and civic responsibility, and service to others.
Our Core Values
The Samford community values lifelong:
- belief in God, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord.
- engagement with the life and teachings of Jesus.
- learning and responsible freedom of inquiry.
- personal empowerment, accountability, and responsibility.
- vocational success and civic engagement.
- spiritual growth and cultivation of physical well-being.
- integrity, honesty, and justice.
- appreciation for diverse cultures and convictions.
- stewardship of all resources.
- service to God, to family, to one another, and to the community.
Anchored in Christian understanding, Samford University will be a diverse community, stressing vigorous learning and personal faith, in the Baptist tradition. Within that commonality, the Community will be innovative in teaching, learning and research; sensitive to global issues; aggressive in self-assessment and continuous improvement. Faithful to its mission, Samford will be known and acknowledged worldwide by holding to its core values. The world will be better for it.