Undergraduate Students: Scholarships and Grants
Samford offers an extensive amount of scholarship and grant assistance to qualified students. There are a number of available merit scholarships to entering freshmen who complete their application for admission
by the December 15th deadline. These scholarships range from $2,000 per year to full tuition. Competition for such scholarships is very high and the awarding policies vary from year to year based on the applicant pool. These awards are made by the Office of Admissions and additional, detailed information concerning the awards may be found on the Scholarships and Financial Aid web pages
of the Admissions website.
- Program Specific Scholarships
- There are other programs at Samford where students may earn additional scholarships and awards. Many of these require a separate application and some have several academic requirements associated with receiving and maintaining the award. Please contact your Admissions Counselor for further details.
- Departmental Scholarships
- Samford students may also qualify for departmental or school specific scholarships as incoming freshmen or in subsequent years of enrollment. To learn about such opportunities for additional aid, student should contact the dean of their college or their department chairs for details.
- Athletics Scholarships
- Students interested in participating in NCAA Division Athletics, should contact the Samford Athletics Department for information related to scholarships and participation.
The Office of Financial Aid also provides access to federal, state, and institutional grants. A FAFSA is required to determine eligibility for all federal and institutional need based grants. Pell Grants are the most common of grants awarded to Samford students. These grants range from $500 a year to $5,550 a year. Some Pell Grant recipients qualify for additional assistance through the Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (SEOG). SEOG typically is awarded in $1,000 per year increments for students who submit their FAFSA by the March 1st deadline.
The Alabama State Grant is available for most Alabama residents who submit the necessary paperwork associated with the application found on our Forms page. These awards may provide approximately $300 a year in additional assistance.
- Outside Scholarships and Grants
There are numerous opportunities for qualified students to receive scholarships from outside or private entities. There are several good free scholarship search engines. Ones we recommend are:
Other outside or private scholarship opportunities may be listed on our monthly newsletter. Please see that page for additional information. To report the receipt of an outside or private scholarship, please follow the instructions found here.