Frequently Asked Questions

Is financial aid available?

Financial aid is available to qualifying students in both the degree and certificate programs. Please contact Elizabeth Martin in the Office of Financial Aid at 726-2905 for detailed information regarding your available aid.  Please know that you must be admitted to the program and have submitted your FAFSA prior to receiving aid. Visit the website of the Office of Financial Aid for more information.

Will you accept my transfer credit?

If you have earned a transferrable two-year degree from a state community college with a GPA of 2.0 or better, you may be able to earn your bachelor's degree through the Evening College in less than two years.  In most circumstances, your associate of science or associate of arts degree will fulfill your general education requirements and you may enter with Junior status and successfully complete only the 68 required credit hours to graduate. If you have not yet received your two-year degree, transfer credit will only be considered if earned at a regionally accredited institution for academic credit and a grade of C- or better was earned.  For example, we cannot accept credit for vocational/technical classes found in some short certificate or applied science degree programs. While an official decision regarding the treatment of your transfer credit will not occur until after you have been accepted into the Evening College, our program advisor, Sherry Gotlieb, will be happy to review your unofficial transcript with you to determine which courses are likely to transfer.  Please contact Sherry at 726-2898 or to schedule a meeting.

How long will it take me to graduate?

If you have already earned a qualifying two-year degree, you may be able to complete earn your bachelor's degree in less than two years.

Do you accept CLEP credit?

For the 2013-2014 academic year, we are happy to accept qualifying CLEP credit.  Please see the Samford University catalog for specific information on the CLEP program.

Does my work experience count for credit towards my degree?

For the 2013-2014 academic year, we may be able to award credit based on work experience upon completion of a Prior Learning Assessment.  See an advisor for details.

You have two paralegal programs? How do I know which one I want?

If you have already earned a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution, you may be eligible to earn the Paralegal Certificate through successful completion of ten legal specialty courses. If you have not earned your bachelor's degree, you will need to complete your degree before we can award the Paralegal Certificate.  If you have a qualifying associate's degree, you may enroll in the certificate-only program.  However, we strongly encourage any student with an associate's degree to pursue the BA in Paralegal Studies which earns the certificate upon award of the degree.

Do you offer online courses or programs?

Yes, we currently offer several courses in an online format.  Many more courses utilize our Learning Management System, Moodle, to reduce the amount of time you have to spend in the classroom.  We will continue to add fully online and hybrid courses.  However, we frequently hear from our students that the sense of community they feel from studying and learning in the on-campus classroom, the networking opportunities, and the personal relationships they build with instructors from the face-to-face experience are what they value most about the Evening College.

Do I have to submit test scores such as SAT or ACT?

No, we do not require standardized test scores for admission.  Please visit our How to Apply page to learn more about admission requirements to the Evening College.

How do I schedule an appointment?

Please contact Stacy Harrison at for general questions, application questions, and to learn if the program is right for you.  If you are ready to meet with an advisor to review your program of study and/or your existing college credit, please contact Sherry Gotlieb at Sherry and Stacy may both be reached by calling 205-72-2898.

Are scholarships available for students in the Evening College at Samford?

Because our courses are offered at a significantly reduced cost over the traditional day program, no scholarships are awarded to Evening College students through Samford university.  However, some students have been successful in earning small scholarships offered through corporations or professional associations or non-profit groups. Be careful! Many scams exist on the internet for those seeking scholarships.  Visit this U.S. News and World Report site for some legitimate and helpful advice on finding scholarships.

I am a veteran. What benefits are available to me?

General information regarding education benefits for veterans can be found on the Samford Student Records website. Samford's VA Certifying Official is Michelle Joiner.  Michelle can be reached via email or by phone at 205-726-2911.

How is the Evening College different from the "day program" at Samford?

Many of the same faculty members teach courses in both programs.  The primary difference is that because Evening College students tend to work during the day, they avail themselves of fewer university resources and can therefore enjoy a reduced tuition rate. Because of this, it is not possible to take courses in both the day and evening - at this time. Our classes are typically quite small and we currently offer five majors and the paralegal certificate.

How do I register for classes?

You will register for your classes using the Banner Student system.  Instructions are available on our Forms and Documents page.