Education Rankings and Highlights
- Samford University is 3rd in the South in the U.S. News and World Report's annual college rankings, continuing a three-decade tradition of being ranked in the top tier of its peer group. Click here to read more.
- The undergraduate teacher education program in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction was recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as being one of the top four effective teacher preparation programs in the nation.
- Employment rates for all degree graduates are near 100%.
- Samford’s accredited teacher education program is the only one in the state of Alabama that offers a program with four different certifications. Graduates are certified in Early Childhood Education/Early Childhood Special Education/Elementary Education/ Elementary Collaborative Education. These four certifications allow candidates to teach children from the age of 3 years through 6th grade in both regular and special education.
- Students complete 1,000 clinical hours in classrooms prior to student teaching in immersion partnership with local schools, contributing to the preparedness and professionalism of our students.
At Samford University, we hold our educator preparation programs to high standards. We collect and analyze data on our programs to continuously improve how we prepare educators to meet the needs of students. Our graduates are ready to enter the workforce and lead our schools. We expect a great deal from our candidates and they continue to rise to the challenge. They enter with high GPAs and test scores and consistently demonstrate high scores on national tests upon completion of our programs.
Just listen to what our students and employers have to say:
"My experiences while attending the Orlean Bullard Beeson School of Education have not only improved my pedagogical practices, but have also helped to shape my educational philosophy and given me the tools necessary to become a purposeful teacher leader in the future." -- Mandy Jayne Stanley, senior
"The School of Education provided me with a strong support system of educators who have been in my shoes. These men and women have poured their passions and heart into not only me, but everyone they have come into contact with. It also has provided me with countless opportunities through scholarships and interning. I consider myself extremely blessed to have gained hours and hours of field observations because I truly believe we learn best through experiences. These opportunities have allowed me to connect with local teachers and students as well as prepare me for my classroom one day...and believe me, I feel prepared!" -- Avery Harrison, senior
“Samford is quite simply the best education one can find. Samford's School of Education is committed to providing the best possible learning opportunities for all its students.” -- Dr. Vic Wilson, Superintendent, Hartselle City Schools
“Samford students are very passionate, knowledgeable and dedicated. They are some of the greatest teachers that any school system could hire. Samford University graduates inspire and encourage students to discover their full potential.” -- Garry Evans, Assistant Director of Human Resources, Jefferson County School System
Employer Surveys (completed by employers of graduates of Fall 2011-Spring 2012)
Program Surveys (completed by graduates of Fall 2012-Spring 2013)